Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Perlinia_6 - Roads & Chunk Queues

With the engine running much more smoothly things have been feeling a lot better but there were still minor screen freezes when moving around as the world generated around the player, so I added a chunk queue. Originally the system would load chunks as the player moved but now instead it queues them and only loads a portion of them at a time that way the player's computer doesn't have to process as much and as a result, doesn't freeze when moving around.

I've also begun more extensive work into generating interesting & detailed terrain. Part of this was beginning work a roadmap:



Right now the roadmap doesn't have much variety and making it loop has been a bit of a challenge so for the moment it's actually a giant grid with straight intersecting points:



I've also changed the size of the player's test cube (the white cube) to more accurately depict what the player's collisions will look like in the end.

I plan on having the next update dedicated to more terrain visuals.

Sincerely,
Blake Gillman

P.S
This update is coming out pretty soon after the last update because I've been working on the game a lot more & I know the next update will take a lot longer to release because I plan on having a lot in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment